FAIRMONT BROADENS ITS APPROACH TO OPERATIONAL SUSTAINABILITY
Toronto, April 22, 2013
- Luxury brand expands its sustainability efforts to more effectively support its communities and achieve positive, long term change -
More than two decades after Fairmont Hotels & Resorts led the foray into environmental stewardship with the launch of its highly acclaimed and industry-leading Green Partnership program, the luxury hotel brand is again raising the bar with the introduction of its new Fairmont Sustainability Partnership.
Expanding its scope and taking a more holistic approach to operational responsibility, the new program provides greater balance around the company’s economic, environmental and social priorities. “It’s about demonstrating accountability and integrity in the way we conduct business, improving the well-being of local communities and ecosystems, addressing the environmental impacts of our operations, and engaging our stakeholders in a meaningful and collaborative manner, “ says Jennifer Fox, president, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
A highlight of the new program, which builds on Fairmont’s existing foundation of environmental and CSR programming, is the creation of four pillars that lend strength and focus to the brand’s renewed commitment to achieving positive long-term change on a global scale: Responsible Business, Ecosystem, Environment, and Engagement. Found within each pillar are priorities that Fairmont has established to help achieve its new sustainability goals, including:
“We have enjoyed great success with our environmental initiatives over the years and are very excited to be taking our sustainability efforts to the next level,” says Fairmont’s environmental affairs director, Sarah Dayboll. “The introduction of the Fairmont Sustainability Partnership also allows us to continue on this journey as we expand our brand into new regions of the world.”
- Responsible Business incorporates governance, accountability and disclosure. In 2013, as a first step to delivering against this priority, the luxury hotel brand introduced a centralized Data Management System that allows for real-time monitoring, measurement and reporting on sustainability contributions, and initiatives at the hotel level. Additionally, hotel “Green Teams” comprised of enthusiastic and passionate colleagues who drive innovation and achieve positive change at their individual properties, will be renamed “Sustainability Teams” to better reflect Fairmont’s expanded focus on operational responsibility.
- Ecosystem includes design and construction, procurement and biodiversity as key priorities – resulting in Fairmont continuing to integrate sustainable practices into renovations and new hotel openings, purchasing decisions and understanding and addressing their impacts on biodiversity.
- Environmental priorities will continue to focus on reductions in energy and water consumption, waste generation and carbon emissions. Fairmont continues to work with the World Wildlife Fund (WWF) to achieve an established greenhouse gas emission reduction target and will look to further support of strategic initiatives including encouraging the use of electric vehicles through the installation of EV charging stations.
- Engagement comprises guests, colleagues, communities and partners. In an effort to enhance positive impact at a local level, the brand recently introduced the Fairmont CAREs grant program which provides seed funding to hotel-identified organizations and causes that improve the overall well-being of the community. Support at a colleague level comes through the brand’s recently introduced Hotel of the Year program which recognizes and rewards properties as they achieve strategic priorities and initiate innovative sustainability practices.
ABOUT FAIRMONT HOTELS & RESORTS
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a celebrated collection of more than 65 luxury properties around the globe, including Shanghai's Fairmont Peace Hotel, The Plaza in New York, and Makkah Clock Royal Tower in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The luxury brand's distinctive hotels offer a sense of heritage and sophistication, warm, engaging service and culturally rich experiences. Fairmont balances the company’s economic, environmental and social priorities and provides the framework for responsible hotel operations through the Sustainability Partnership program. Fairmont is owned by FRHI Holdings Limited, a leading global hotel company with over 100 hotels under the Fairmont, Raffles, and Swissôtel brands. The company also manages Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel branded luxury private residences club, whole-ownership residences and serviced residences properties. For more information or reservations, please call 1-800-441-1414 or visit fairmont.com.
Become a fan of Fairmont. Join our online communities at everyonesanoriginal.com, facebook.com/fairmonthotels, twitter.com/fairmonthotels, and pinterest.com/fairmonthotels/. For career opportunities, visit facebook.com/fairmontcareers.
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts