Fairmont Celebrates Artistic Diversity with Whistler Culture Days Festival
Whistler Thursday, September 06, 2012
The Fairmont Chateau Whistler will be a hub of activity as Whistler’s host hotel for Canada’s third annual Culture Days weekend. Taking place September 28-30 thousands of free, hands-on activities and events will take place from coast to coast inviting the public to discover the world of artists, creators, historians, architects, designers and other creative people in their communities.
There are a number of artist inspired activities taking place in Whistler’s Upper Village throughout the weekend including various workshops, demonstrations and hands on learning opportunities. Be sure to stop by The Fairmont Chateau Whistler to take part in the following Culture Days highlights:
- Painting Workshop with Joan Baron - learn how to paint one of Whistler’s favourite icons, the black bear, Friday September 28, 2-4 pm, all supplies included.
- Squamish Lil’wat Cultural Center Visual Art Demonstration in the hotel lobby, Friday September 28, 3-5 pm.
- Ubuntu-African Tongue Drum - Interactive music session with Ben McLaughlin. Try your drumming skills with a friend on these unique drums made for two at the Mountain Galleries located in the lower hotel lobby from 5:30-6:00 pm on Friday September 28.
- Poetry Workshop Saturday September 29, 10-12 pm, with the winner of the workshop being announced at a champagne reception at the Mountain Galleries that evening from 5-7 pm.
- Weaving Artist Discussion and Interactive Demonstration featuring Fran Solar and Allison Burns on Sunday September 30 from 10:00-11:30 at the hotel. Compare Fran's contemporary weaving techniques and medium with that of First Nations wool and cedar weaving artist Allison Burns.
- Sugar Art Demonstration - Come and watch Fairmont Chateau Whistler’s French Pastry Chef, Laurent Bernard, perform unbelievable artistic feats with ingredients out of the bake shop. Stop by the hotel lobby on Sunday September 30 from 1-2 pm to watch Chef Laurent turn ordinary household sugar into a work of art.
- Artwalk Tour guided byMountain Galleries takes you on an inspiring tour of the Upper Village artwork, including hotel collections at The Fairmont Chateau Whistler. Tours of 20 people, leaving from the hotel lobby at 2:30 pm.
All events are free to attend and are open to the general public. A full list of Culture Days activities and workshops taking place throughout Whistler and Vancouver can be found at: http://bc.culturedays.ca/en.
Nestled at the base of Blackcomb Mountain, you'll discover a chateau-style hotel with luxurious rooms, a wide array of dining options, ski-in/ski-out mountain access, an award winning golf course and a full-service spa. For more information on Culture Days Activities and other special events call The Fairmont Chateau Whistler at 604-938-8000 or visit us online at www.fairmont.com/whistler.
About Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
Fairmont Hotels & Resorts, which will arrive in destinations as diverse as Jaipur, Kyiv and Manila in 2012, is a celebrated collection of more than 60 luxury properties around the globe, including Shanghai's Fairmont Peace Hotel, The Plaza in New York, and Makkah Clock Royal Tower in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. The luxury brand's distinctive hotels offer a sense of heritage and sophistication, warm, engaging service and culturally rich experiences. A community and environmental leader, Fairmont is also recognized internationally for its responsible tourism practices and award-winning Green Partnership program. Fairmont is owned by FRHI Holdings Limited, a leading global hotel company with over 100 hotels under the Fairmont, Raffles, and Swissôtel brands. The company also manages Fairmont, Raffles and Swissôtel branded luxury private residences club, whole-ownership residences and serviced residences properties. For more information or reservations, please call 1-800-441-1414 or visit fairmont.com.
Become a fan of Fairmont. Join our online communities at everyonesanoriginal.com, facebook.com/fairmonthotels, andtwitter.com/fairmonthotels. For career opportunities, visit facebook.com/fairmontcareers.