This hike, offered every Monday and Friday at 8:00 a.m. is guided by a Hui Holokai Beach Ambassador and explores the largest Petroglyph field on the Island of Hawai‘i. It is the largest concentration of petroglyphs in the Pacific, located within the 233-acre Puako Petroglyph Archaeological District. The field has over 3000 carvings most of which were made thousands of years ago including paddlers, sails, marchers, dancers and family groups as well as dogs, chickens, turtles and deity symbols. On a difficulty scale of 0-10, with 10 high, this hike is a 5 considering the distances and diverse terrain, from sidewalks to uneven ground such as walking over Kiawe tree roots, rocks and lava. Your guide will take you into the past through these magnificent messages left by our ancestors. Meet at the Beach Shack
Activity Passes - Make the Most of Your Stay
Whether it's a calming vacation you seek or one full of Big Island adventure, you can make the most of it with our Activity Pass for access to the resort's best ocean, culture, fitness, wellness and sports activities and equipment. Available for purchase on property at the Front Desk, Concierge Desk, the Beach Shack, Spa Without Walls and the Pool Kiosk.
Please click here for our Activities Guide
Fun & Sun Activity Pass:
Per person fee is $75 Adults, $65 Children (ages 5-12). One-time purchase is good every day of your stay. Includes all beach rental equipment including mask, snorkel, fins, boogie boards, soft-top surfboards, stand-up paddle boards, personal floats, one and two person kayaks, and noodles. Receive additional benefits with your Fun & Sun activity card, valid for your entire stay.
Paradise Within Class Card:
10-Class card $150, without the Class Card the following classes are offered for $20 each:
- Seaside Yoga- Gentle yoga postures practiced under the coconut palms, breathe in the fresh ocean air. Great for all ages and levels.
- Vinyasa Flow- Intermediate to advance yoga. Sun salutations incorporating yoga postures, practiced in a flowing sequence. Meet at the Spa.
- Relax Into Action-Tools and techniques for relaxation and balanced living.
- Floating Yoga- Practiced on a stand up paddle board, Flo-yo connects the mind, body and breath and demonstrates benefits of building strength through balance and resistance. Meet at the Hui Holokai Beach Shack at 6:45 a.m. Participants must be able to carry a paddle board from the beach to the lagoon.
- Sunrise Swim Clinic- Introduction to water skills during the best time of day...early morning.
- Core Fusion- Blend of Pilates with yoga, dance, and stretch.
- Introduction to Meditation- Meditation for balanced living. Timeless ways to quiet and focus the mind for better clarity, insight, and tranquility.
Outrigger Canoe Adventure
Embark upon a two-hour outrigger canoe/snorkeling adventure right off the hotel's white sand beach. Your Hui Holokai Beach Ambassador will lead you out into pristine Pauoa Bay, and you'll paddle along the beautiful Mauna Lani Resort shoreline. Terrific snorkel spots abound, and you'll marvel at underwater arches, Hawaiian green sea turtles (honu), eagle rays, tropical reef fish and other marine life of the coral reef ecosystem. Learn about the ancient Hawaiians who called this shoreline home, and the legends they handed down through the generations.
Reservations required by 4 p.m. the day prior. Two-person minimum, $125 USD per person. Price includes tax.
For years, travelers to the Kohala Coast have wondered about the ancient Hawaiians who passed this way long before they were born. At The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii, members of the Hui Holokai Beach Club Program might hand you a walking stick and set off on the same lava footpaths now worn smooth as they share the stories, lore and history of Kalahuipua'a "the gathering place" now known as Mauna Lani Resort in a new cultural hike offered complimentary to hotel guests.
Ranging from the ancient people's lava cave dwellings to pictorial petroglyphs (lava etchings) and sacred ahu (shrine), the guided hikes lead you through inland fishponds once reserved for the ali’i (royalty), along oceanfront trails and more. You might even learn a Hawaiian greeting oli chant as well to take home in voice and song.
These complimentary tours are held daily at 8:00 a.m. Meet at the Beach Shack.