Your browser does not support frames.

General Wedding Information


All Justices of Peace only perform ceremonies in the courthouses with which they are affiliated and not on the site of Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello. Should you wish to marry legally on the site of Fairmont Le Chateau Montebello you must have a minister or pastor available with the 'power' to marry in the province of Quebec.

The cost of a marriage at the Hull courthouse is $204.74, taxes included (subject to change).

If you marry at the office of the Justice of the Peace, they will fill out the declaration of marriage and send it to the registrar's office for you. However, you must fill out the SJ-217A form 'Civil marriage questionnaire', and this may be attained from the courthouse by calling  819 776 8100. A marriage certificate will then be mailed to you via the registrar's office.

Hull Courthouse Hours:
June, July and August: Monday to Saturday, 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.
All other months: Monday to Friday, 9.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

The length of a marriage ceremony at the courthouse is approximately 15 minutes. Reservations must be made at least one month in advance in order for the documentation to process.



Choosing to keep your maiden name or taking your spouses family name or a mix of both is a decision that is based on where you live not where you legally marry.

If you are a resident of the province of Quebec you may not take your spouse's family name but instead must keep your maiden name.

In the province of Ontario you have the choice to take your spouse's name, keep your maiden name or take both e.g.: May Jones (maiden name) Smith (spouse's name). They may either be hyphenated or not.

Costs may apply should you wish to keep both names and your registrar's office should be contacted.

If you decide to change your last name legally you must contact your registrar's office and fill out all the necessary forms, immediately following the marriage, as there is a time limit without costs. After the limit has expired, it can become a costly experience. In order to change your name legally: ALL documentation must be changed including banking information, credit cards, birth certificate, driver's license, health card and social insurance card. This may become a lengthy experience but not costly should you meet all the requirements before the cut off date.



Notices of marriage and civil union must be published on the website of the Directeur de l’état civil for 20 days prior to the date of the ceremony.

During the six-month transition period, which ends on June 30, 2018, publications made under the former rules are accepted for marriages and civil unions solemnized no later than June 30, 2018. Marriages and civil unions solemnized after this date, however, must be published on the website of the Directeur de l’état civil.


  • Notices of marriage and civil union must be posted on the DEC website for 20 days before the scheduled date of the celebration.
  • The publication exemptions are granted by the DEC and no longer by the officiant, unless the marriage or civil union is to be celebrated urgently.
  • Designated officiants of a single marriage or single civil union must file the documents surrounding the celebration with the DEC rather than at the office of the Superior Court.
  • In the case of the marriage of a minor (16 or 17 years old), all the officiants must send to the DEC a copy of the judgment authorizing this union so that it is registered in the civil registry, and this, at the latest when sending the marriage declaration.

Note that failure to comply with the rules applicable to the publication or solemnization of a marriage or civil union, be it the current rules or those in effect during the transition period, could result in the Directeur de l’état civil’s refusal to enter the event in the Québec register of civil status. In addition, the officiant’s authorization could be suspended or revoked.

© Copyright 2019 AccorHotels. All rights reserved.