RAISE YOUR PINKIES FOR BREAST CANCER AWARENESS MONTH
Victoria BC Friday, September 09, 2011
Fairmont Supports Breast Cancer Awareness with Pink Ribbon Tea in October
Vancouver, BC, September 9, 2011 – In support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month this October, several Fairmont Hotels in the Pacific Northwest are holding “Pink Ribbon Tea”. Pink Ribbon Tea promises Fairmont’s grand tradition of afternoon tea with a pink twist and charity component – select tea treats will be frosted pink and partial proceeds from each afternoon tea will go to a local breast cancer foundation. Several Fairmont spas are also getting tickled pink this October with treatments that support the cause.
The concept of Pink Ribbon Tea came to Fairmont from Joey Holt. Holt was manager of The Fairmont Store in The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver and suffered from breast cancer for over two years before succumbing in November of 2010. Each year in October, she saw a gathering of runners and walkers for the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s CIBC Run for the Cure. She recognized that there are some people who could not directly participate but who want to contribute to the cause in some way. Her vision was to hold an annual Pink Ribbon Tea in various locations across Canada in order to raise money for breast cancer research in a fun and social way.
The gathering after Holt’s funeral in 2010 was really the inaugural Pink Ribbon Tea as The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver baked three hundred pink-iced tea cakes for the reception and arranged them on tables in the form of CBCF’s pink ribbon emblem. Her husband, Gerald Holt, has been working with Fairmont Hotels to create Pink Ribbon Tea in Joey Holt’s memory. Private Pink Ribbon Teas are also being held in West Vancouver, Langley and South Surrey with all proceeds and donations going to CBCF for breast cancer research. Please see here for the Pink Ribbon Tea website.
Pink Ribbon Tea Locations and Details:
- The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver will hold Pink Ribbon Tea throughout October with $2 from each afternoon tea donated to the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation (CBCF).
- Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver will hold Pink Ribbon Tea throughout October with $2 from each afternoon tea donated to CBCF.
- The Fairmont Empress in Victoria will hold Pink Ribbon Tea from October 24 to 30 with $2 from each afternoon tea donated to CBCF.
- The Fairmont Chateau Whistler will hold Pink Ribbon Tea throughout October with $2 from each afternoon tea donated to CBCF.
- The Fairmont Olympic Hotel in Seattle will hold Pink Ribbon Tea throughout October with $2 from each afternoon tea donated to the Susan G. Komen Foundation.
- The Fairmont Waterfront in Vancouver doesn’t serve afternoon tea; however Herons West Coast Kitchen + Bar will feature a “tickled pink” dessert throughout both September and October: Rose-Infused Pot de Crème with Rosé Wine-Braised Fruit and Pink Peppercorn Sablée Cookie. Two dollars from each dessert sold will be donated to CBCF.
*Please note that donation is based on regularly-priced afternoon tea only.
Get “Tickled Pink” at the Spa:
- Willow Stream Spa at The Fairmont Empress in Victoria is creating a “Pink Room” in support of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Guests who request this room for their spa treatment will have 10% of the treatment cost donated to CBCF. A “memory wall” in the Pink Room will also provide an opportunity to name someone special on a pink ribbon and post the ribbon to the board in their memory.
- Willow Stream Spa at Fairmont Pacific Rim in Vancouver will donate $2 to CBCF from every spa manicure booked during the month of October.
Quote from Rick Corcoran, hotel manager of The Fairmont Hotel Vancouver:
“We are proud to honour Joey Holt’s memory and support breast cancer research by holding Pink Ribbon Tea this October. It’s also exciting that several other Fairmont hotels in the region are participating in support of this worthy cause. Together, we can make a big difference.”
Quote from Gerald Holt, organizer of Pink Ribbon Tea and husband of the late Joey Holt:
“Joey originally wanted to hold Pink Ribbon Tea for those who could not participate in the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation’s CIBC Run for the Cure. Her vision saw people across Canada getting together to enjoy the tradition of afternoon tea together, in support of breast cancer research. It’s wonderful to see so many Fairmont Hotels taking part in this program and we hope this idea continues to grow over the years.”
About Fairmont Hotels & Resorts
With over 60 distinctive hotels, including the iconic Fairmont San Francisco and Fairmont Peace Hotel, Shanghai, and more in development, Fairmont Hotels & Resorts is a global hospitality brand known for its warm and engaging service and culturally rich experiences. Located in coveted worldwide destinations, its unrivalled collection of classic hotels imbue a sense of heritage, sophistication, and social importance, and are often considered destinations in and of themselves. Fairmont is also committed to responsible tourism and is an industry leader in sustainable hotel management with its award-winning Green Partnership program. Fairmont is owned by Fairmont Raffles Hotels International, a leading global hotel company with 95 hotels under the Fairmont, Raffles, and Swissôtel brands. The company also manages Fairmont and Raffles branded residences, estates and luxury private residence club properties. For more information or reservations, please call 1-800-441-1414 or visit www.fairmont.com.
Become a fan of Fairmont. Join our online communities at www.everyonesanoriginal.com, www.twitter.com/fairmonthotels, and www.facebook.com/fairmonthotels.